The Museum of archaeology of Moscow is located in underground pavilion at the depth of 7 meters in the historic center of the city. The Museum was opened in 1997, after large-scale excavations at the Manege square in the construction of the shopping center “Okhotny Ryad”. The main exhibit of the Museum is the preserved foundations of the Voskresensky bridge, which once spanned across the river Neglinka. With the resurrection of the bridge began as a way to Tver, and then and in St. Petersburg. Before its construction this place there was a ferry. In the beginning of XVII century was built the bridge was the first stone bridge in Moscow. It can be seen on the plans of Moscow of the XVII century. In 1740 instead of the old bridge by the architect P. Heyden was new erected, the white stone bridge. He was more than 100 meters long and reaches 30 meters in width. Of the five arches of the bridge the flow was only one – right, when viewed in the direction of the bridge with the gallery of the Museum. The design of the bridge is quite well preserved due to the fact that, in 1817-19, during the restoration works after the war of 1812, the river Neglinka enclosed pipe, and the Voskresensky bridge as unnecessary covered.
One of the exhibits of the Museum is devoted to ancient treasures . found during archaeological excavations on the territory of Moscow. Ancient people have buried their treasures in the different articles of ceramic or clay jugs, pots, cups… the First treasure, presented in the Museum was found in 1996, during excavations on the territory of the old Gostiny Dvor. when I cleared the log charred under the basement flooring. Then was found a copper jug, covered with a copper bowl in which were: 3 silver cups, 6 bowls of silver, 331 Western European silver coin 21 823 old Russian silver coins. A half meter from that pitcher showed up the second part of the treasure kept in the jar of white clay, closed with a wooden stopper. The jar also contained a lot of finds: 3 silver Cup, 3 silver bowls, 4 silver European coins and 73 606 silver ancient coins. The archaeologists were able to establish that this treasure was hidden around 40-ies XVII century. And 20 April 1996, in the Northern part of Gostiny Dvor near the Ilyinka street when clearing deep log a basement, under charred logs, in pits, was found the largest Moscow treasure — 2 pitcher, copper and clay, where there were 16 silver vessels, 335 West-European coins — thalers of the second half of XVI-early XVII centuries and 95 429 silver Russian coins. There is no written evidence that would help to know the name of the owner of the treasure, but archaeologists still made some assumptions. Traces of fire indicate that a wooden building, in the basement where treasure was hidden, burned clean, and the owner could not find in the ashes the place where he hid the silver. It also allowed to assume that the found treasure belonged to one person and were not government property. Otherwise, the location of their store would know a few people, and together values could be found after the fire. In confirmation of this let us cite the words of a foreign traveller about the Russian custom to hide money: Russians do not trust even the closest relatives; many of the merchants who amassed money by trade, bury them in places known to them, and die, for the most part, without revealing the fact to anyone . The exposition and the Spanish treasure, so named because it contained Spanish coins. This treasure was found in 1970 in excavations at the Ipatievsky lane. Copper basin was filled with 3 397 silver coins with denominations of 2, 4 and 8 Reales, which were from the period following the reign of the Spanish kings: Philip II, Philip the Third and Philip the Fourth (the beginning of the XVI – 30-ies of the XVII century). The treasure was supposedly in the 30 –ies of the XVII century. The original location of copper basin in the exposition made on a revolving stand, and around the pelvis the scattered coins, creating the impression that coins poured upon rotation of the pelvis around the circle.
And finally, we note that the first Wednesday of each month is a day of free entrance to the Museum of archeology of Moscow for persons under 18 years of age. Good excuse to go there with kids!