Archaeological Park of San agustín (Spanish Parque Arqueológico de San Agustín ) is one of the most important archaeological sites in Colombia (South America), located 2.5 km from the town of Popayan, on the banks of the Magdalena river. Park San Agustín. Included in the world Heritage list of UNESCO.
San agustín is located in 227 km from the capital of the Department Neiva. The population is about 30 000 people the city was Originally founded as a village in 1752 by Alejo the Spaniard Astudillo, but the Indians soon destroyed it. The modern village was founded in 1790 by Lucas de Erazo-and-Mandhana.
In the area found traces of one of the most interesting civilizations of the Western hemisphere. Not far from San Agustin, at an altitude of 1800 meters at the source of the Magdalena river, in the cave found a large number of stone figures, vaguely reminiscent of the statue of the era of the Aztec Empire. Today in the Valley of the statues found more than 500 giant statues of people, gods and animals. They are scattered in more than 20 places in the forest, completely overgrown with orchids, the valley of the river Magdalena. Carved stone figures look at the background of this landscape is bleak and aloof. Sculptures of gods and mythological characters made in different styles and date back to different centuries. The height of some reaches 6 meters. Since espansione fray Juan de Santa Gertrudis in 1794 first reported about these giants, historians and archaeologists wonder about their origin and age. Some believe that they originated in the VI century BC, others are inclined to a later Dating, relating these works to the culture, destroyed by the Incas shortly before the Spanish conquest, they have a certain resemblance with the famous stone idols of Easter island. Continue reading
Thanks to continued this year to archaeological excavations in the territory of Armenia identified a lot of unique artifacts, evidence of ancient civilizations in our land. According to Armenian archaeologists, found in the regions of Armenia artifacts worthy of decorating the richest collections of such museums as the Hermitage and the Louvre.
Director of the Institute of archaeology and Ethnography, National Academy of Sciences of Armenia Pavel Avetisyan believes this year the site plan has been successful and fruitful. He sobowale “archive” artifacts of Artashat . unique in that it was found during excavations stamps were dated to 3-4 century – the period of the Sassanids. “This year we found about 800 seals. In different parts of the settlement before that since the 70s, has uncovered such “archives” and found a huge number of similar seals, but all belonged to the end of the 2 1 century, i.e. to the pre-Christian period. The last artifacts is really new and very important facts,” – said the Director of the Institute.
According to Avetisyan, the seals were engraved portraits of kings and their names. “Now these seals are stored at the Institute of archaeology and Ethnography: they are cleared, they “work” specialists, after which they will be transferred to the Museum of history of Armenia,” he said.
Sensational printing pattern found in the ancient settlement of Aknashen. Here, archeologists discovered the residential layer, which dates to the 7th Millennium before Christ.
The artifacts found in the medieval capital of Armenia – Dvin – fragments of pottery, glass, may become a benchmark for the region. Excavations were conducted in the southern part of the hill, resulting in “open” kiln earlier period – the “iron” of a century with two air ducts. At the Western site is “open” is also part of the Arab walls of buildings, the Eastern section was occupied by burials and excavations ceased. Continue reading
Archaeologists in Peru have managed to make a remarkable discovery: they dug up the room in which priests allegedly burnt sacrifices and communed with the higher powers. The building, built five thousand years ago is probably the most ancient sanctuary in the region.
Peruvian archeologists have discovered the ruins of stone buildings, which in ancient times, in all probability, served as a temple. The ruins of religious buildings situated in the side wing of the main pyramid at El Paraiso, forty kilometers North-East of the capital of Peru, Lima.
In the middle of the temple premises was a place for kindling the sacred fire and the altar for ceremonial burning brought gifts. Archaeologists have given this building called the “Temple of fire”. According to the Ministry of culture of Peru, on fragments of stone walls from the inner side are remains of yellow clay, which thin layer covers the walls of the room. Somewhere on the stones of the masonry and clay scientists found traces of red paint.
The area of the fire Temple small – about 56 square meters (about 7 to 8 meters). Interestingly, the entrance to Hambil very narrow (48 centimeters), so that freely pass through it could only lean, narrow-shouldered man. Researchers believe that in this room, mostly, burned sacrificial gifts. “Inhaling smoke from burning sacrifices, the priests, probably addressed to the gods, asked about vital matters, then listened to the will of the gods,” said Marco Hillje, head of the archaeological expedition, which produces excavations in the territory of El paraíso.
The excavations El paraíso occupies 50 hectares in the valley of the river Chillon. The complex of buildings consists of ten different stone buildings, already cleared from a thick layer of stones and sand. Archaeologists suggest that the settlement is actually one of the earliest in the Andes. Continue reading