The main part of the collections of ancient gold Special storeroom of the Hermitage is composed mainly thanks to scientific archaeological investigations conducted in the territory of the Northern black sea. A separate study there started here in the XVIII century. Already in 1763 in Ukraine near the modern Kirovograd was one of the first excavated Scythian kurgans — Cast, well-known in science under the name of Melgunovka treasure . containing a variety of gold and silver jewelry and weapons.
However, a systematic study of the antiquities of the South of Russia began only in the second quarter of the nineteenth century. The impetus for this was a wonderful discovery of the Kul-Oba in 1830 near Kerch. Luxury graves in this burial mound, found in it works of art, scientific world acquainted with the masterpieces of Greek toreutics, caused a sensation among his contemporaries. Most of the stuff was taken to the Hermitage, where they formed the nucleus of world famous collections of antiquities of Cimmerian Bosporus (Greek name of the Kerch Strait).
Since the opening of the Kul-Oba area of Kerch and the Taman Peninsula and the southern steppes became a place of permanent archaeological searches. During the XIX — early XX century here worked a whole galaxy of Russian archaeologists and archaeology fans, the result of which has been gained huge semesterisation on culture and art of the local tribes and Greek colonies of the Northern black sea.
In 1859 in St. Petersburg of the Imperial Archaeological Commission . in whose jurisdiction was all basic research in Russia. Since then the new discoveries and, primarily, articles of precious metals, found in mounds and burials, invariably got into the Hermitage. Since that time, Russian archaeology was developing in a scientific direction.
The oldest specimens of toreutics, open in the CIS are the middle of the third Millennium B. C. These samples are from the barrow, which was discovered in 1897 on the streets of the city of Maikop in the North Caucasus. Continue reading
Archaeologists have discovered a Catholic reliquary in the tomb of the leader of the first Protestant Church in the USA
Finding gives the Foundation of Rome to be closer to the Vatican
WASHINGTON. American archaeologists have produced a sensation. Excavations at the first permanent English settlement in the U.S., the colony of Jamestown (Virginia), they discovered the remains of captain Gabriel Archer, one of the leaders of the settlers. The uniqueness of this discovery in two of the accompanying nuances. First, in the Archer’s grave was discovered a silver reliquary, in which were found several bones and a tiny vial filled with Holy water or blood. Secondly, the captain was buried in a hexagonal coffin, head East. In this way, indicates the American edition of the Atlantic, often buried Catholic priests. From here the intrigue: Jamestown was a Protestant colony, but now the conclusion is that it flourished clandestine Catholic community, whose members consisted of some leaders of the settlement, and the Archer could be its secret leader or even a priest. “Finding mysterious little silver box containing the relics was one of the major surprises, — said the President of Jamestown Foundation, James horn. — We’re still trying to figure out what it means: it is very uncommon to find a Catholic reliquary in the tomb of the leader of the first protestantskaja in the country.” Continue reading