Archaeological Park of San agustín (Spanish Parque Arqueológico de San Agustín ) is one of the most important archaeological sites in Colombia (South America), located 2.5 km from the town of Popayan, on the banks of the Magdalena river. Park San Agustín. Included in the world Heritage list of UNESCO.
San agustín is located in 227 km from the capital of the Department Neiva. The population is about 30 000 people the city was Originally founded as a village in 1752 by Alejo the Spaniard Astudillo, but the Indians soon destroyed it. The modern village was founded in 1790 by Lucas de Erazo-and-Mandhana.
In the area found traces of one of the most interesting civilizations of the Western hemisphere. Not far from San Agustin, at an altitude of 1800 meters at the source of the Magdalena river, in the cave found a large number of stone figures, vaguely reminiscent of the statue of the era of the Aztec Empire. Today in the Valley of the statues found more than 500 giant statues of people, gods and animals. They are scattered in more than 20 places in the forest, completely overgrown with orchids, the valley of the river Magdalena. Carved stone figures look at the background of this landscape is bleak and aloof. Sculptures of gods and mythological characters made in different styles and date back to different centuries. The height of some reaches 6 meters. Since espansione fray Juan de Santa Gertrudis in 1794 first reported about these giants, historians and archaeologists wonder about their origin and age. Some believe that they originated in the VI century BC, others are inclined to a later Dating, relating these works to the culture, destroyed by the Incas shortly before the Spanish conquest, they have a certain resemblance with the famous stone idols of Easter island. Continue reading
A modern network of archaeological museums is quite complicated. They are United by a Committee of the International Council of museums (ICOM) museums of archaeology and history.
For the countries of southern and Central Europe is characterized by the establishment of museums at the site of the Greek and Roman cities, museums-reserves, national archaeological Museum: Syracuse, Sofia, etc.
Archaeological museums in Northern Europe is focused mainly on local archaeology, including medieval: the Viking Museum in Aarhus, and the Viking ship Museum in ROS-Kilda Denmark).
In Belgium, along with many specialised archaeological museums (Damme, Engin) and there are museums of industrial archaeology (Arstila).
In France, widespread museums in provincial cities (Auxerre, Babe, alençon, Liu-con, Noyon), museums dedicated to individual topics in archaeology: the Museum of prehistory aurignac, in the Museum of Egyptology in Lille, the Museum of Gallo-Roman civilization in Lyon, the Museum of underwater archaeology in Berck-sur-Mer. Continue reading
Harikari adopted in archaeological science the name for the mounds with rounded stone mound and circular or square fence connected with a loose stone “rays”, or “paths”. Harikari got its name from the Mongolian word “charges ur” — “socket of the Kyrgyz” or “Kyrgyz grave”.
The Kyrgyz were the last Turkic people who dominated the steppes of the Centre. Asia in the era of “Kyrgyz great power” in the IX—X centuries (see the State of the Yenisei Kyrgyz), before these lands migrated Mongolian nomadic tribes. So the Mongols all the ancient mounds called “Kyrgyz” by name prior to people. In scientific use the term “Harikari” was introduced by Russian scientists and travellers, who carried the expedition to Mongolia in the late XIX — early XX century. Among Heraxosov are very large structures with bulk in 60-80 m in diameter and 15 m height and diameter of circular wall 250 meters Often around the fence Heraxosov in several rows located circular calculations – altars. On the area of burial grounds adjacent to Gerakari installed in 1 or several rows of stone steles with figures of animals and a picture of a belt with weapons, which were named by the researchers “deer stones”. Under the embankment in the centre of Gerakari, at the level of the ancient nevnimateljnostj as a rule, is located, or the tomb of large stones, in which are found skeletons of people buried, laid in a stretched position, on the left side, the head to the West. Any stuff in the grave didn’t put. In many Harakara no traces of burials. However, in the embankment and the square of Harikari in later times after their construction were made of the intake of burial. Therefore, in the past, archaeologists determined the chronology Heraxosov for these later findings. For many decades in Mongolia and Transbaikalia Harikari was dated from the middle Ages and belonged to the old Turkic, or Uighur culture. However, as a result of excavations in Tuva and then in Transbaikalia, the archaeologists were able to determine that the ring fencing Heraxosov covered tiled tombs and barrows of barrows of the late bronze and early Scythian time. Continue reading