Few people know that on the territory of Rostov region is true… Greek city! More precisely its excavations, what was left of it. The city of Tanais (Greek Tape and Tape), founded in the early 3rd century BC by the Greeks from the Bosporan Kingdom. The town played an important role in the development of trade by sea.
Excavations of the ancient Greek city of Tanais, Rostov region
Who has not lived on this earth: the Scythians, the Amazons, the Greeks, the Venetians, the Polovtsian tribes and of course we, Russians.But, everything in order.
A little more than a couple of millennia ago, judging by the notes, Greco-Roman historians, on the don land inhabited by beautiful Amazons. They tilled the soil, and when it was time of war — take up arms. In order to freely own weapons, poor women even burned their right breast (to make it easier to throw a spear). In those days the river don was called Amazonia. One day, Amazon Lizippa and warrior Barossa was born the son of Tanais. The boy grew up and turned into a beautiful ,young man with impeccably owned weapons and different martial arts. To devote his life to the military art Tanais took chastity. Meanwhile, the goddess of love, Venus, fell in love with a young boy. It — zero attention. Wounded goddess punished Tanais love for his mother. The guy failed the test, and threw himself from a high hill into the river. Since then, the river was named “Tanais”. And then, in the name of the river, and called the City.
So, one Sunny summer day by car from Rostov-on-don, we went to the adventure “back in time”. Narrow highway Rostov-Taganrog, poplar along roads and hot, hot..Not far from the city of Taganrog turned the direction of Tanais, which is impossible to pass. Continue reading
Stone grave — hi from antiquity. Wonderful region — the Azov steppe! Here, as in planetary chronicle, lists all milestones in the history of the Earth — everywhere geological monuments, ancient burial mounds, stone images, traces of an ancient settlement. Among these stands out “stone island” with a height of about 12 meters and a length of more than 20 — Stone Tomb.
The stone Grave is located 2 km from the village of Patience Melitopol district of Zaporozhye region and is a heap of stones covering about 3,000 square meters, height of 12 meters. The pile is shaped like a mound (in Ukrainian grave), hence the name. Stone grave at first, probably, was a Sandstone shallow Sarmatian sea, the only way out of Sandstone in the whole Azov-black sea basin, which makes it a unique geological formation. After leaving the water the former Sarmatian sea shallow, sandy left the array, the top of which (presumably due to the influence of iron lateritic loam) turned into solid Sandstone. This array of Sandstone 240 on 160 meters on top of the fine sand was in the path of the old riverbed of the Breast and for a long time (up to the shallowing of the river and displacement of the riverbed to the West) remained the island in the river. As a result water and air erosion, the Sandstone massif much ass and gradually rasolomanana many pieces. Currently Stone Tomb is a sandy hill, covered with large stones. Among heaps of stones, many natural cavities — caves, passages and the like.
The first researcher who mentioned the Stone tomb, was N. And. Veselovsky. Digging out a nearby Stone Graves in 1889 the mound, the archeologist went to the village of Patience “to check rumours”. Veselovsky found a “stone mound”, suggested that this artificial construction, in 1890 excavated several caves, but not finding any treasure or burial, became disillusioned and stopped working, leaving only a small short Entry on the Grave Stone. Continue reading