Archaeological Park of San agustín (Spanish Parque Arqueológico de San Agustín ) is one of the most important archaeological sites in Colombia (South America), located 2.5 km from the town of Popayan, on the banks of the Magdalena river. Park San Agustín. Included in the world Heritage list of UNESCO.
San agustín is located in 227 km from the capital of the Department Neiva. The population is about 30 000 people the city was Originally founded as a village in 1752 by Alejo the Spaniard Astudillo, but the Indians soon destroyed it. The modern village was founded in 1790 by Lucas de Erazo-and-Mandhana.
In the area found traces of one of the most interesting civilizations of the Western hemisphere. Not far from San Agustin, at an altitude of 1800 meters at the source of the Magdalena river, in the cave found a large number of stone figures, vaguely reminiscent of the statue of the era of the Aztec Empire. Today in the Valley of the statues found more than 500 giant statues of people, gods and animals. They are scattered in more than 20 places in the forest, completely overgrown with orchids, the valley of the river Magdalena. Carved stone figures look at the background of this landscape is bleak and aloof. Sculptures of gods and mythological characters made in different styles and date back to different centuries. The height of some reaches 6 meters. Since espansione fray Juan de Santa Gertrudis in 1794 first reported about these giants, historians and archaeologists wonder about their origin and age. Some believe that they originated in the VI century BC, others are inclined to a later Dating, relating these works to the culture, destroyed by the Incas shortly before the Spanish conquest, they have a certain resemblance with the famous stone idols of Easter island. Continue reading
The great Patriotic war has left thousands of material evidence of the bitter and terrible events, all included in the memory of the people. The land for almost 69 years keeps these “treasures”, time, time showing them to the world. During the excavation of the German bunkers and trenches, a variety of engineering obstacles are interesting little things. Site that remember those terrible events that span thousands of kilometers. Archaeological excavations in Russia are conducted by pathfinders that meet various interests: from scientific, historical, to materialistic, narrow-minded. In the process, they seek to find evidence of life (both household and military) of the Soviet troops and enemy troops.
Excavations in the Tula region
Of great interest to archaeologists of any type (“white”, “gray”, “black”) represent the objects of everyday life of soldiers, uniforms and firearms. Near the village of Kamenskoe excavations of the German dugouts. And this work has yielded good fruit in the form of valuable exhibits, which settled in the district Museum. On the territory of this township was held the offensive two rifle divisions of the enemy – 113 and 338. A detachment of “Patriots” was found near artillery positions weight bullet casings and guns. During excavations, archaeologists remarkableness were surprised to see not far from the surface they found a bottle of cognac (“Hennessy”), which is not easy preserved, but preserved all the contents in excellent condition. There were found some items of ammunition in good condition: helmet, gas mask, shells, and other equipment. They were transferred to the Museum. Continue reading
About three dozen metro stations can be considered as branches of the paleontological Museum. In their marble cladding can be found ancient fossils.
For some, the search for traces of the Jurassic period has turned into a hobby. Muscovite Alexander Mironenko walking in the subway and shoots shellfish, lilies and other ancient inhabitants, some over 100 million years. In his collection of over 700 images.
NAUTILUS AND SEA LILY
In 2000, the student Mironenko was on geological practice in suburban quarries. “We’ve seen a lot of fossils — the remains of ancient plants, animals, — tells Sasha. — And in Moscow, looking out the window of the carriages of the trains, a girl from our group shouted: “Look, Nautilus [clam]!” No it is, of course, not believed, laughed. But everything began to carefully examine the walls and floor at the stations. And that evening on the way home I found a Nautilus shell in the wall of the lobby on “Dobryninsky”. Sasha is now examined more than 100 stations. On his hunt he gets about once a month.
Especially a lot of fossils on the first built stations — then they were faced with natural marble. “Look closely to the walls of the old lines — red, blue, ring —advises Mironenko. — There is a very curious fossils”. According to him, “Dobryninskaya” and “Biblioteka imeni Lenina”.
If to come on “Dobryninsky” from the “Taganskaya”, approximately where the last stop of the car in the wall in a beautiful red marble you can see a scattering of sea lilies. And in the area of the first carriage — Nautilus with a diameter of 10-15 centimeters. Interesting because its shell is cut so well that you can see all the internal partitions. Not all museums have these items. And the “Library” near the transition to the “Borovitskaya” in yellow marble imprinted ductwork-rudist and gastropod shellfish of the Paleozoic era. The age of the mollusc — about 100 million years. Continue reading